Look for the best kid-friendly things to do in and around Houston this week from Monday August 23 through Sunday August 29, 2021.
This week, shout “Bingo! With the little ones, take a final twilight cruise to observe bayou wildlife, see a Disney classic at an outdoor screening, have fun with a hands-on writing workshop, and more Again.
Do you know of an event that could be on the list? Write to us at [email protected] with a link to the official event details.
Scroll below to find great things for kids and families taking place in Houston from Monday August 23 through Sunday August 29, 2021.
Top 10 things to do for kids and families in Houston this week
- Lagoonfest Texas in Texas City | Wednesday 25 August to Sunday 29 August – The largest lagoon in the state, Lagoonfest Texas is a summer celebration destination with beaches, bars, boats, music, a floating obstacle course, and more. Kayaks, paddleboards, electric paddleboards, and sailboats are available, along with white sand beaches, live music, a catapult swing, and an electric ferry that transports people to a luxury beach experience. One-day admission starts at $ 20; $ 15 for ages 3 to 12; free for children 2 and under. 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Children’s Bingo at Levy Park | Thursday August 26 | FREE – Help kids practice letters and numbers in this half-hour bingo session with online prizes. Bingo cards, markers and prizes are provided by Levy Park. Ideal for ages 4 to 12. 4.30 p.m.
- Buffalo Bayou Summer Twilight Boat Tours | Thursday August 26 – Hop aboard for the final night of Twilight Tours along Buffalo Bayou, where you can take a 30-minute boat trip and learn about native plants and wildlife like herons, fish, turtles, and occasionally the alligator. Tickets cost $ 7; $ 5 for ages 4 to 12. Children under 4 years old are not allowed on boat trips. The boats run from 5.30 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.
- Toy story Film Screening on Woodlands Mall Lawn | Thursday August 26 | FREE – Join Buzz and Woody for a classic Disney’s animated adventure Toy story, shown outdoors as part of the Movies on the Lawn series at Woodlands Mall. Blankets and chairs are encouraged. 7:30 p.m.
- Super Saturday Vaccination Day at Schools in Greater Houston | saturday 28 august | FREE – Take advantage of the last day of Super Saturday vaccination, a free public vaccination campaign that invites students and families to get vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to save lives and overcome the pandemic. Clinics are stations at schools in Greater Houston, so check the calendar for the most up-to-date listings. Vaccines are free for everyone from 12 years old. Parental authorization is required for minors. No appointment necessary. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Kids are All Write: A writing and poetry workshop for children in Smither Park | saturday 28 august | FREE – Perfect for ages 7 to 12, this monthly workshop with Robin Reagler, former director of Writers in the Schools (WITS), will help kids have fun writing and sharing their own stories and poems in inspiring Smither Park. 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Kingwood Pop-Up & Back 2 School Market in Town Center Park | Saturday August 28 | No coverage – Shop from local vendors selling specialty jewelry and accessories, artwork, culinary delights, and more, and enjoy karaoke, live music, and games. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Parent and Child: A Tex-Mex Plate Meal at the Central Market Cooking School | saturday 28 august – Team up with a little chef and whip up a Tex-Mex feast of guacamole, house salsa, pan-fried fajitas, and sugar-cinnamon dessert nachos with strawberries. Tickets cost $ 100 for 1 parent and 1 child; $ 150 for 1 parent and 2 children. 13h.
- Texas-Louisiana Zydeco Fest at BH Ranch | Saturday August 28 and Sunday August 29 – This two-day festival features a stacked lineup of Zydeco masters that will have you finding the Creole groove. The event includes 9 Zydeco groups over 2 days, as well as food trucks, vendors and a children’s area. Tickets cost $ 40 for a 2-day pass; $ 30 for a day pass at the door. $ 5 for children. Saturday 2 p.m .; Sunday 3 p.m.
- Los Chicos Del 512: The Selena Experience at the Miller Open Air Theater | Saturday August 28 | FREE | Virtual option – Relive the power and magic of Selena’s stars in this dynamic tribute concert that promises an evening of song and dance that will have the whole family cheering. A live broadcast of the performance will be available on Miller Outdoor’s YouTube channel. Free and limited tickets for covered seats are available online two days before the event. The seats on the hill are open to the public. 8:30 p.m.