ELON, North Carolina – The Elon University women’s track and field team is set for the prestigious Camel City Invite this weekend, February 4-5, inside the JDL Fast Track complex in Winston Salem, North Carolina.
• Meetup updates will be posted on the team’s social media pages on Twitter and Instagram at the handle, @ElonXCTF.
• Live results will be provided and can be found on the program schedule page on elonphoenix.com along with a recap and results at the end of the competition.
• There are 64 teams scheduled to compete this weekend. Notable schools the Phoenix will see this weekend include Campbell, Cincinnati, Davidson, Duke, ECU, Furman, Georgia Tech, High Point, Kentucky, Liberty, North Carolina A&T, NC State, North Carolina, Texas, Troy, UNCG, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest.
• Elon is expected to field 26 athletes on Friday and Saturday. Below is a list of events Phoenix athletes must attend:
Event calendar :
friday 4 february
Events on the ground:
4:00 p.m. Shot put (Kaitlin McGoogan, Lauryn Carlton, Kristine Strazdite)
4:30 p.m. Pole vault (madison george, Jessica Anderson, Blythe Hehmeyer)
4:30 p.m. Long jump (Alex Tudor, Mark Alexa)
1:00 p.m. Qualifying 60 meters (Tudor, Danielle Dyergeorge)
1:30 p.m. DMR (Audrey Durbin, Lauren Willingham, Alison Hodgson, Katy Haerbig)
2:00 p.m. Preliminaries 60 meters hurdles (Alyssa Sandy)
2:30 p.m. Preliminaries 60 meters (Meghan Wilcox, Jordan Haywood)
14:50 400m WITHOUT SEEDING WITHOUT BLOCKS (Drometer Riley, Anna Kozlova)
3:35 p.m. CLASSIFIED 400m (Piper Jons, Aliya Barrows, Tessa Di Pierdomenico)
4:05 p.m. 60m hurdles final
4:20 p.m. 60m sprint final
4:30 p.m. 600m race (Stephanie Lair, Leandra Lorenz, Sabrina Mannes, Arianna Sakoutis, Emily AlpsHodson)
5:00 p.m. 200m NOT TOGETHER (Milly HeinbaughDyer, Kozlova)
5:35 p.m. CLASSIFIED 200m (Haywood, Wilcox)
7:25 p.m. 4x400m (Relay #1 – Barrows, DiPierdomenico, Drometer, Jons; #2 – Lair, Mannes, Alps, Sakoutis)
Saturday February 4
Events on the ground:
9:30 a.m. Shot put (Carlton, McGoogan)
• Elon last competed in the VMI Winter Relays last weekend, January 28-29.
• On the first day of competition, the Phoenix recorded four event victories while watching Wilcox set a new school record in the 60 metres. The Cedar Park, Texas native clocked 7.64 in the race preliminaries.
• In the shot put, McGoogan won for the Phoenix after nearly breaking his own school record with a throw of 18.13m. Carlton finished fourth overall with his new personal best of 17.13m.
• George won the pole vault after surviving the competition with a clear height of 3.80m. Barrows was the winner of the 400 meters with her time of 57.67 with Piper Jons comes second with a time of 57.87.
• Elon’s last victory on day one came in the 4×800 meters as Phoenix took gold. The Lair quartet, Jette Beermann, Hannah Preeo and Anna Twomey ran a time of 9:10.29—the fourth best time in school history—and qualified for the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) Indoor Championships.
• The Phoenix picked up more wins on the second and final day of the competition. Phoenix’s distance medley relay team of Lair, Beermann, Heinbaugh and Twomey won gold in their heat, clocking 11:45.22 – the third fastest in the history of the school – while qualifying for the ECAC Indoor Championships.
• Elon watched his 4×400 meter relay team of Barrows, DiPierdomenico, Drometer and Jons win their event with a time of 3:51.92. The band entered the program’s top 10 indoor performance list.
• DiPierdomenico took individualist honors in the 500 meters with a time of 1:17.35 – the fourth fastest in school history. Kozlova finished second with a time of 1:23.19, sneaking into the program’s top 10 list.
• Maggie Springer was Phoenix’s last winner on the final day as the Chapel Hill, North Carolina native won the 3,000 meters. Springer ran a time of 10:01.76.
The Phoenix will return to Liberty University for the Darius Dixon Memorial Invitational next weekend, February 11-12.
— ELON —